Friday, August 10, 2012

Ahh...I'm nervous! My first blog post...oh the pressure!

All of my girlfriends have blogs. I've finally succumbed. I knew it would happen. I can't guarantee I will be funny, witty, or even entertaining, but I will be informative (boy, that sounds like a page turner, eh?!).

I'm Shannon. Shannon Marengo; used to be Bullock. It was fun being a Bullock. At the checkout lines I would hear, "Bullock! Are you related to Sandra?!" I miss that. I gotta say, being a Marengo has been almost as exciting (jk...much love to the Marengo name AND family). For those readers that don't quite know us (which I gotta say is rare considering Ricky's popularity with just about everyone), we are Ricky and Shannon. Here's your quick summary of us...We met in 2008. I was a college aide at Jackie Robinson Academy (the school where Ricky works). I saw him in the hallway and thought he was soooooooooo cute. Of course, he never paid me any attention - he probably had 3 different girlfriends at that time, so I wasn't a big deal, nor was I that exciting. Fast forward to the end of the school year. We were two of the many teachers who chaperoned the 8th grade trip to Disneyland. Most of the teachers we were with, were not interested in going on rides, so we stuck together. I was ecstatic! It was during that day, I KNEW without a doubt, that Ricky was the one. On the bus ride back to school, I made up a really lame excuse to get Ricky's number. It worked. I immediately called my friend Cherice and told her that I found my future husband. I broke up with my boyfriend the next day. Oops, did I forget that part?! Yep, I had a boyfriend. Ricky's not the ONLY one sought after ;)

We then ssslllooowwwlllyyy dated over the next year. I emphasize slowly because Ricky had a bad case of commitment-itis. One night on our way to the movies I let him have it. I gave him many reasons (listed them A-G) on why he wouldn't commit to me, and how much of a _____ he was (there was a specific choice word I used, not to be mentioned on this blog). We didn't talk for the next 3 hours. When he dropped me off at home he decided to commit to me, and only me. He then sulked about it for the next 5 days. I gave him his space...he had after all, made a huge decision, one he had never made before...he had a girlfriend.

On July, 14th 2010 Ricky proposed! My parents had come into town and they were going to meet Ricky's mom and our closest friends for the first time. Once we were done eating, Ricky got up, stood behind me, gave a sweet little speech directed to family and friends, then asked me to stand up. At that moment I knew.
That's my Mom and Brother, Kyle in the background



Our great friend (and one of my bridesmaids) McKenzie!


The next month I was hired at a Charter school to teach 6th grade Math and Science in Bell, California (I am still working there...going on my 3rd year...4th year total teaching). Ricky is still at Jackie Robinson Academy in Long Beach where we met.

On January 15th, 2011 we were sealed in the Los Angeles temple for time and all eternity! It was a gorgeous day, I mean GORGEOUS day. The weather could not have been better. It was the best day or our lives, and we felt the spirit more that day than ever before. After we were sealed at the temple, we headed to the Cerritos Performing Arts Center where we had a HUGE ceremony for 300+ people. Of course it couldn't be your average ceremony, for Ricky and I, we had to make it something everyone would remember, and something that no one had ever witnessed before! We, along with our bridal party performed "Nothin's Gonna Stop Us Now". I had the movie moment I had always dreamed of. Ever see that hit 80's movie Mannequin!? Classic. Well we recreated that moment. It was awesome (see the link for the video on the right side of my blog). Oh and one more totally awesome tid-bit...I wanted my hair to look just like one of my favorite characters on my all time favorite show, All My Children. Well, the amazing Tami Ahlstrom succeeded! I felt soo pretty on my wedding day. Thank you Tami!






Amanda from All My Children (seriously, my hair looked EXACTLY like this under my veil!)
 The day we were married, we closed escrow on our house!
We live in the front unit (2 BD, 1.5 BA), and we are renting the back unit (3 BD, 2 BA) This is after MUCH renovation.

Shortly after the wedding, we went on our honeymoon! A Celebrity cruise to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. On the second day at sea, Ricky got the flu. Yes, it is as sad as it sounds. Ricky loved it. He vegged out, had room service at his beck and call, and watched movies all day. As for me, I cried and toured two of the three islands BY MYSELF. It was miserable. Finally, at the last location, Ricky was better and able to leave the ship.
Ricky before he got sick

By myself in Puerto Rico
By myself in St. Martin

Yay! Ricky is better. Finally together in St. Thomas.

So happy Ricky's better

You HAVE to get a balcony room on a cruise ship. The only way to go.
We spent the next 4 months renovating our new duplex (that story and those photos in another post...another day). Fast forward to now...

Ricky and I have been married for one year and 6 months! It's been the best year and a half of my life. I think it's safe for me to assume that this has been the best year and a half for Ricky as well. We are each others best friend. I always knew I'd love being a wife. Never thought I'd be asked to give as many foot rubs as I do, nor did I ever realize how much patience someone must have to live with me. It's a give and take thing. I really need to complain less about Ricky's requests for foot massages...he does so much for me. I love him more than I can explain. Anyone else out there have a husband who wakes up singing and in the BEST mood, every single morning?! He's such an incredible person. Boy am I moody in comparison.

This blog will inform you on our lives; the fun we have, my moments of insanity, Ricky's "career" as a rock star, and our exciting adventure to start a family.

Thanks for reading (I know it was long).
Love, Shannon (and Ricky)

4 comments:

  1. Shannon I love that you are starting a blog! Even though I knew most of it, it was fun reading your "about us" story. I will be sure I add you to my reader so I can keep up with what is going on with you guys. Lots of fun things ahead I am sure :)
    xo
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So crazy to think back on when you guys first met and were "dating". LOL. Boy those were some funny times! I started a blog but need to update it..thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you looked AMAZING on your wedding day! Love reading the story :)You're a great blogger, I love your style of writing

    ReplyDelete